In Our Area:
Great location! The house is very centrally located. So much to see and do! And all within close proximity to the house. We are minutes away from nature trails, gardens, supermarket, schools/university, hospitals, museums, concert and sports venues, shops, and the ocean. Downtown Vancouver and the airport are about 20 minutes away (non rush hour). For those who will be working with the University or Hospitals, the house is a 16-minute drive to VGH (Vancouver General Hospital). A 12-minute drive to BC Women’s Hospital and Health Centre as well as to UBC Hospital.
Walking distance to:
Dunbar shopping strip (Dunbar Village) where you can find cafes, bakeries, drugstore/Post Office, wine store, supermarkets and mom and pop markets, optical shops and doctors and dentists’ offices, barber shops, hair and nail salons, banks and the Dunbar movie theater which shows first run films (built in 1935 and just a 5 minute walk from the house) .
It’s a 5-minute or less walking distance to Dunbar Community Centre where you can have access to the Tennis Courts, Gym, Yoga Classes, Badminton, etc, by paying a drop-in fee.
A 9-minute walk or a 2-minute drive (5 blocks from house) to Stong’s Market (local supermarket and deli).
An 8-minute walk to Pacific Spirit Regional Park that has great walking, birding, biking and running trails.
A 6-minute drive (or 27-minute walk) to Camosun Bog, located at the edge of Pacific Spirit Park. A great place to walk and learn about this 2000+ year old bog. The bogland supports many specialized plants and played a vital role in sustaining the Musquem people as the rich natural ecosystem allowed for quick gathering of food and supplies. Its been restored over the years with a 300m long boardwalk being built for people to stroll through and enjoy this natural vegetation.
Driving/busing distance to:
5-minute drive to riding stables in Southlands
About a 10-minute drive to Jericho and Spanish Banks beaches. Besides being a great place to walk there are lessons and rentals available for sailing, stand-up paddleboard, kayak, skimboard and windsurfing.
St. George’s School is a 4-minute drive from the house (19-minute walk).
UBC is just a 10 to 15-minute drive from the house. Some points of interest in UBC:
- Beaty Biodiversity Museum which is a Natural History Museum and home to one of the largest blue whale skeletons
- UBC Botanical Gardens – also home to the Greenheart Tree walkway high above the forest floor and Nitobe gardens, a 2½ acre authentic traditional Japanese garden. Look for a rather magnificent specimen of a Glacier Boulder near the exit to the Greenheart Treewalk gate.
- UBC Farmers Markets (June to October) fresh locally grown produce and fresh eggs
- Museum of Anthropology (MOA) Renowned for its collection and displays of world arts and cultures, and most significantly, works by First Nation band governments of the Pacific Northwest.
- First Nations Longhouse – highlighting Aboriginal culture
- UBC Chan Centre – renowned for its great acoustics – attend concerts from jazz to classical, opera to world music; watch live theater and listen to talks from visiting lecturers.
- Prefer to geek out? UBC’s TRIUMF is the place. It’s the home to the world’s largest cyclotron particle accelerator, energetic isotope beams, and a host of nuclear health facilities. Tours available.